Block Emails on iCloud to Reduce Inbox Clutter
When you block spam email in iCloud along with other email clutter, you'll quickly prevent unwanted messages from showing up in your inbox. These emails may come from old newsletters you don't have time to read, advertisements for products you don't want, messages from people you don't want to talk to, or emails that may contain malicious content.
When you want to stop the sender from writing to you, the iCloud block email feature sends messages from that sender directly to your Trash folder and not to your Inbox. You'll find several ways to stop unwanted emails in iCloud. You can use the iCloud Mail app on your Mac or use iCloud Mail on the web. Another option is to learn how to block an email address using an app like Clean Email.
How to Block Emails on iCloud: 2 Methods
A quick way to block an email address is to use the Mail app on your Mac. All you do is find a message from the sender you want to be blocked. Here's how to do it:
- Open the Mail app on your Mac.
- Select a message from the certain sender.
- Move the mouse pointer to the name in the message header.
- Select Block Contact to display the Blocked icon next to the sender's name.
Follow our detailed guide on how to block Mac emails.
You can only block emails on iCloud from the iCloud website if you set up a rule to send unwanted emails to the Trash folder automatically. Here's how to block emails on iCloud from a web browser:
- Go to the iCloud website and sign in to your account.
- Select Mail to open iCloud Mail.
- Select a message from the mail address you want to be blocked.
- Select Settings (the gear icon) and choose Rules.
- Go to the Rules tab and select Add a Rule.
- Select the If a message drop-down menu and choose is from. The address you want to block is entered automatically.
- Select the Then drop-down menu and choose Move to Trash.
- Select Done.
How to Block Emails on iCloud Using Third-Party Apps
Another easy way to manage your iCloud Inbox is using the email organizer such as Clean Email.
Here's how to block email on iCloud using this app so that message from a specified mail address goes to your Trash folder automatically:
- Launch the app and go to your Inbox.
- Find a message from the sender you want to be blocked.
- Choose the message.
- Go to the toolbar and select Block.
You may find that some spam emails come from different accounts, but those addresses come from the same domain. In this case, you can set up an automated Block rule in Clean Email to stop all emails from that domain.
- Go to your Inbox in the app’s dashboard.
- In the Search field, enter the @ symbol followed by the domain name. For example, if a domain called "spamsite.com" sends you spam emails using different addresses, enter @spamsite.com in the search field.
- Click Select All.
- Go to the toolbar and select Block.
- Confirm your action.
Along with blocking emails on iCloud, Clean Email provides you with additional automated tools that help you manage your Inbox. Here are a few examples of how this app can help you keep the number of messages in your inbox to a minimum so that you spend less time stressing over your emails:
- Does your inbox fill up with newsletters that you don't read? Select those emails in Clean Email, and the Unsubscriber feature opts you out of your subscription.
- Want to set up a reading list for emails you prefer to read later? Tell the app, and those messages go to your Read Later folder with a summary of the emails.
- Would you rather tackle your emails by subject or sender? The app will do that for you, too, by grouping messages using rules and filters.
iCloud isn't the only email service that works with Clean Email. You can use it to block email from popular mail service providers. If you use Google's apps, discover how to block someone on Gmail. Do you prefer Microsoft Office? Find out how to block emails on Outlook. Or, if you use Yahoo or AOL, learn how to block emails on Yahoo or teach yourself how to block emails on AOL.
Why Would You Want to Block a Sender?
There are many reasons to block email from a sender. And most of those reasons boil down to you don't want to or have the time to read certain messages. Whatever your reason, blocking a sender doesn't completely rid you of their unwanted email.
When you block a sender, their email is still delivered to your mailbox. However, the message doesn't go to your inbox. Instead, it goes to your Trash folder. So, you don't have to deal with those messages if you don't want to. Plus, the sender won't know you blocked them.
Blocking an email address isn't the only way to remove unwanted emails from your inbox. If you are on mailing lists and receive newsletters that you no longer want, find out how to unsubscribe from emails and keep your inbox clutter-free.
Email messages can fill up your inbox quickly and become overwhelming. When your inbox contains more messages than you can comfortably deal with in a 15-minute session, use the iCloud block email feature and send those unwanted messages to the Trash folder.
If you only want to block an email sender, you can do it from the iCloud app or website. If you want more email management options to effectively organize iCloud emails and become more productive, choose the Clean Email app.
How to Block Emails on iCloud - FAQs
How do I block emails on my iCloud account?
To block email in iCloud so that selected messages go to your Trash folder, you'll need to set up a rule, and you'll need to do it in a web browser. To set up a rule in iCloud Mail, go to Settings → Rules and select Add a Rule. Then, create a rule so that messages from a specified sender go to the Trash.
How do I permanently block an email address?
There are several ways to permanently block an email address. Many mail clients include a feature that blocks unwanted messages and sends them to your Trash folder. Another way is to use an email organizer such as Clean Email. It uses filters to remove unwanted emails automatically.
How do I block unwanted emails on my iPhone?
When you want to block email on your iPhone, do it from the Mail app. To block a sender, open a message from the sender, tap their name, tap the name next to From, and then tap Block This Contact. When you block someone using this method, the emails from the sender are only blocked in your Mail app. Those emails still appear in your inbox when you view your messages in a web browser or another mail client.
How do I stop spam emails in iCloud?
Spam emails are usually sent to your Junk folder automatically. Still, sometimes these messages make it to your inbox. If you get spam email in your iCloud Inbox, you can either block messages from that sender or move them to your Junk folder. When you mark a message as junk, similar messages are moved to the Junk folder automatically.